Fiction & Nonfiction Editing
For fiction and nonfiction, I offer four types of services: line editing, copyediting, sensitivity/authenticity reading, and proofreading.
- Spelling, grammar, usage, punctuation, hyphenation, numerals, abbreviations, acronyms, and capitalization
- Accuracy of chapter numbers and cross-references to figures, tables, illustrations, and other displayed material
- Insertion of or notation of missing words
- Headings and text reflect parallel structure
- Consistency of key terms and thoroughness of indexes
- Continuity of plot, setting, and character traits in fiction
- Flagging of ambiguous, cliché, or incorrect statements
My editing packages include:
- Two editorial passes of your manuscript
- In-manuscript comments/line edits querying the author about conflicting statements, plot, character, or world-building issues
- Extensive in-manuscript copyedits using Chicago Manual of Style guidelines
- Style sheet with word use/character/timeline notes, as applicable
- One revision round for your cover copy
I will perform a substantive reading of your manuscript to evaluate representation of identities or experiences pertaining to my specific areas of first-hand expertise. My report will address offensive content, cultural appropriation, misrepresentation, stereotypes, bias, or lack of understanding, etc. and outline any issues found along with possible solutions to fix them.
- Science fiction
- – Mystery
- – Thriller
- – Crime/detective
- Creative nonfiction
Cleanup editing is an add-on service that incorporates the author’s responses to queries.
Book Cover Editing
Your book cover must quickly capture your audience’s attention with short, succinct, error-free copy about you and your book. Cover copyediting is included with manuscript editing services. It can also be requested as an add-on service in conjunction with a proofreading project.
What's Not Included
- Plot Structure
- Character Development
- Story Development
Want to work with me?
Request a quote or contact me with questions.